Checklists and Favourite Sites
I have some favourite checklists that are available on various websites. Here are a few that I think will help you buy, sell, insure and maintain your home.
- Home Buyer’s Checklist Look under the Mortgage tools on the right column. This is a nice one page checklist that will help you remember some of the features of homes that you visit.
- Home Owner‘s Insurance Checklist Insurance-Canada.ca provides information to consumers about home insurance in Canada. For first time buyers, this checklist will help you determine your insurance needs.
- Canadian Mortgage and Housing has developed a list and definition of all the costs you can expect upon purchasing a home. Go to Buying a Home – Homebuying Step by Step – Step 3 to see the list and links.
- Home Gardener’s Checklist. I love this site from the Montreal Botanical Gardens. It is so easy to use and in the same growing zone as Ottawa. Information is available in French and English. The icons are very catchy.
- Ontario Contractors have provided information about the cost of a variety of work that could be done around your home – from replacing windows to a bathroom remodel. While these are estimates, they will help you plan and budget for work that you may require when buying a home.
- Lingo. While not a checklist, this will provide you with an alphabetically managed list of Lingo used in describing homes. It includes many of the emerging technological terms.
- Tarion’s Home Maintenance Checklists for each season. This has been developed by the Tarion New Home Warranty group. It also provides tips on avoiding moisture damage in the home.
- Healthy Homes Maintenance Checklist. This is a nicely presented checklist that provides the type, season or frequency for home maintenance tasks.
- 14-things-to-do-when-you-first-move-to-ottawa. This list provides links and information about things to do when you first move to Ottawa.